Saturday, July 3, 2010

Shit my dad says about radiology

For those of you disconnected from mainstream media, Shit My Dad Says -- I refuse to sanitize the title -- documents the pearls of wisdom passed down from a father to his son over the years. Being Twitter-free and Facebook-phobic, I only heard about this a few weeks ago from my daughter, who is a devoted follower, and then a few days ago I received the recently-published book, unsolicited, from my father as a birthday present. (Hmm, I wonder what this says about me as a father and as a son, Dr. Freud?)

What does this have to do with Biomedical Simulation? Well, a few minutes on Google and then PubMed reveals that the father, introduced in the book as having worked "in nuclear medicine at the University of California-San Diego", is indeed a former academic radiologist at UCSD, specializing in nuclear and adolescent(!) medicine, with quite a few papers in journals that I read. (OK, it's a stretch, but allow me this tenuous brush with greatness.)

All this to say: if you don't believe there's wit and wisdom behind the media hype, check out Samuel E. Halpern's editorial "Of Models and Men" from 1977. They don't write 'em like that anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment