Monday, June 22, 2009

A couple of academic satires

Taking a day off after the ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, I started, and then promptly finished, "Portuguese Irregular Verbs",  an affectionate satire of academics, tracking the exploits of Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld and his colleagues, Professor Dr Detlev Amadeus Unterholzer and Professor Dr Dr Florianus Prinzel, denizens of the fictional -- in case there was any doubt -- Institute of Romance Philology in Regensburg.  Many thanks to Frau Dr Marilyn Riederer, for sending this book to Frau Dr Dr Dolores Steinman; and to Frau Dr Dr Steinman for encouraging me to read it (and also for encouraging me to take a day off).

While I'm at it, I also recommend "Bellwether", a not-inaccurate satire of life at a research institute, which I read several years ago while working at, well, a research institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment